Sello Shopping Centre awarded LEED certificate for ecological operations
Sello is now officially green
The Sello Shopping Centre has been awarded a gold-level LEED for Existing Buildings certificate for ecologically sustainable operations. It is the first shopping centre in Europe to receive such a certificate. Sello collected green points for its excellent public transport connections, green electricity, energy management, water efficiency, and sorting and recycling facilities for merchants and customers, among other things.
LEED is a respected rating system
LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) is a widely respected environmental certification tool that covers the design, construction and responsible use of buildings. Certification is based on an independent evaluation conducted by a third party and certification takes place on four different levels: certified, silver, gold and platinum. LEED projects are under way in over 150 countries, including the USA, Canada, Mexico, India, Sweden, Estonia and Finland. Certificates are awarded by the U.S. Green Building Council.
One category of LEED, in which Sello's certificate was also awarded, is LEED for Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance. In order to be certified, a building must meet environmental requirements regarding energy efficiency, water consumption, the efficient use of public transport, waste management and maintenance, among other things.
The Sello Shopping Centre has the following characteristics supporting its certification:
- Excellent public transport connections: Around 30,000 journeys are made daily using the rail and bus terminals next to Sello.
- Green electricity: The shift to carbon-free electricity has reduced carbon dioxide emissions by 60%.
- Active management of energy consumption: Energy efficiency is being constantly improved.
- Minimized environmental impact of commuting: 76% of employees use public transport.
- Environmentally friendly cleaning products and equipment.
- Promotes a more compact urban structure and efficient land use.
- Efficient use of water: low-flow water fixtures.
- Sorting and recycling facilities for merchants and customers (recycling rate 70%).
Electric car charging points
There are four electric car charging points in the car park. Charge Score can be found near the cobbler's lobby.
Charging points are ment for hybrid and electric cars to charge.
Using the points is simple. Charging is started and stopped using mobile phone.
For instructions refer to electric car charging points.
The recycling center of Sello is situated on the parking level. You can recycle paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, batteries and metal.
Additional information and location.
Sello´s eight recycling machines are located on the parking level close to the escalators by the supermarkets. Next to the bottle machines you can also recycle your plastic bags
More information and location